How can Appalachian help me in my academics?
As part of the Appalachian mission, the Office of Distance Education is dedicated to your success and well-being. We stay in contact with departments on the main campus to increase awareness and accessibility of online resources for academic support. You can also benefit from Appalachian resources in your personal relationships, overall health and daily life. With opportunities to increase your academic, social, emotional and physical well-being, there is no better time to be a Mountaineer! Read below and explore our navigation links to learn more.
Use your Appalachian login and Banner ID to log into Appalachian's free, degree-requirement tracking and planning tool. DegreeWorks will show you your unofficial transcript, help you determine your overall GPA, predict your GPA for the current term and create a plan for your academic future.
The Career Exploration Center offers online resources to help Distance Education students select the right path toward their chosen career. Not sure what that career is yet? The center will help you explore potential career opportunities for different degree programs. Find out what's in store for you after you earn your degree!
The Career Development Center offers online resources to prepare you for the application and interview process for when you are ready to apply for new jobs or graduate programs.
Call 828-262-2180 or email email@example.com to ask about their resume review service for Distance Education students.
Study & Research
- Distance Education Library Services are available to meet your needs.
- Follow this link to view a Google Drive folder with PRAXIS core test preparation for teacher education programs to enhance your skills in argumentative writing, mathematics, reading, study and comprehension.
- The Student Learning Center offers online resources for tips and strategies in effective study habits, time management, reading skills and more.
- The Writing Center offers online resources for development in writing at any stage of the writing process. Online consultation available.
Smarthinking tutoring is available 24/7, except from from 12:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m., Eastern Time, during holiday closures on:
- Christmas Day
- New Years Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
These services, however, will continue to be available during holidays:
- Pre-scheduled sessions
- Essay Center Offline submissions*
- Offline Question submissions
* Writing submissions posed on holidays may not be returned for up to 72 hours.
You can access Smarthinking on Appalnet:
- Log in to Appalnet's Student Self-Service
- Select the Student tab
- Scroll down to the Learning Assistance Services link
- Select "Smarthinking"